On this relaxed 4 hour private tour, meet your guide at 7.30am in front of the entrance to the Vatican Museums. Immediately enjoy the insights about the overall structure's background as even the outside is quite incredible. Upon entering at 8am, your expert guide will head straight to the most important highlights endeavoring to give you as much privacy as possible at all times.
Before entering The Sistine Chapel, listen to the story of its creation as well as the story hidden behind his most magnificent artwork. Step inside its Holy Ground to contemplate its beauty in silence. Leave through a special exit that takes you directly to St Peters helping you avoid the long lines. Allow your guide to give you an outline of its history and creation while also explaining features and some its most incredible art. View the magnificent Michelangelo’s Pietà the only artwork ever signed by him. This is possibly one of the most incredibly emotional sculptures ever created.
The sheer size and opulence of the Basilica is something to behold. It will become apparent why it is called the most important church in the world. Leave the Basilica to step out to St Peter’s Square. Let your guide explain how it came about and show you a few secrets only known by the locals. As you pass through the various stages of this tour, wherever possible, your guide will keep away from large groups of people. The enjoyment of your experience is of the utmost importance and our aim is to give you an unforgettable private experience!
Anyone leaving a tour of The Vatican and its museums will almost always take away as their greatest memory the remarkable frescoes in The Sistine Chapel. I, however, feel that this is a little bit of an injustice to the wonders of St Peter’s Basilica. Now, I know that the sheer size will always create discussion but if you put that aside, look deeply and slowly at what surrounds you as you enter and walk silently around, you will see it is a masterpiece. The structure was built over 126 years by a plethora of the greatest architects of the day, many dying while under commission. Because of the different opinions and continously changing management of both Popes and architects, the Basilica design potentially risked being a disaster but thankfully that never happened. Architects of the magnitude of Bramante, Bernini and the very old Michelangelo all had a hand in creating one of the world’s most incredible churches. Michelangelo passed away close to its completion but his famous dome was very close to being finished at that time. It was thought that only his genius and vision could create such a huge unsupported dome. The artwork, sculptures, frescoes and wood carvings are quite simply exquisite and time is needed to take it all in.
When you book this tour please tell us if you are travelling with kids. It will be our pleasure to provide a child friendly guide to enhance their experience.
- Please bring an ID document for children as proof of age for the reduction tickets.
- In case the Basilica of St. Peter is closed for religious functions, you will spend longer time in the Vatican galleries with your private guide. The Basilica is a Church and as such the Vatican can decide to use it for religious functions without notice.
- This tour operates in all weather conditions.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible but may be customized to meet this requirement upon special request.
- Please note that, for disabled visitors with certified invalidity of more than 74%, the Vatican Museums offers free entry that is extended to a companion for visitors who are not self sufficient. To benefit from this, make sure you mention it at the time of booking so that our staff may handle your request.