Vatican Tours not only aim to offer our customers a knowledgeable and professional tour, but also a storytelling experience with our art specialist, passionate tour guide. You will visit the Vatican galleries, see the Laocoon, the “Torso and Apollo of Belvedere” once part of the art collection of the Pope Julius II, discover the Round Room built in the shape of the Pantheon and housing giant Roman statues, and the famous porphyry marble bathtub of Nero!
You will walk through the gallery of the Candelabra, the tapestries and the Maps. You will indulge in a spectacular discovery and witness how centuries ago, without computers and technology, the cosmographer and astronomer Ignazio Danti has been able to project these incredible maps under Pope Gregory XIII.
You will then step into the Sistine Chapel and discover Michelangelo’s frescoes. Before entering, your guide will illustrate the incredible Creation of the World and Last Judgment that Michelangelo completed in a total period of 9 years under two Popes. Due to the holiness of the Sistine Chapel, guides are not permitted to describe the features while inside the chapel.
From the Sistine Chapel, you will have direct access to the Basilica of St. Peters through a special door and you will discover the amazing Michelangelo’s Pieta, sculpted when he was only 19 years old. Your guide will also tell you the story of Michelangelo’s hidden past, and you will learn all about his life as a sculptor! The Basilica of St. Peter’s is one of the largest churches in the world and the building took over 120 years to complete. As well as several architects including Raphael and Michelangelo, there was also Bernini, and you will discover the huge bronze Canopy that Bernini designed for the Barberini Pope and the Amazing Altar of the Chair, all in baroque style.
During this three hour tour we aim to show you the highlights of the Vatican Museums and to give you a memorable experience that will last forever. This small group tour averages around 16 participants with a maximum 20. You will receive personal headsets in order to hear your guide clearly, and you will learn a lot from your passionate, friendly, English speaking guide.
- Please bring an ID document for children as proof of age for the reduced price tickets.
- In case the Basilica of St. Peter is closed for religious functions, you will spend longer time in the Vatican galleries with your private guide. The Basilica is a Church and as such the Vatican can decide to use it for religious functions without notice.
- This tour operates in all weather conditions.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible but may be customized to meet this requirement upon special request.
- Please note that, for disabled visitors with certified invalidity of more than 74%, the Vatican Museums offers free entry that is extended to a companion for visitors who are not self sufficient. To benefit from this, make sure you mention it at the time of booking so that our staff may handle your request.