For that, you will be put onto several busses in groups of forty to fifty persons and this will take up to an hour to organise. From there you will drive an hour to a service area on the Autostrada until you stop for 30 minutes for a bathroom break. The service area is used by all the busses leaving the port, so not a pleasant experience. Then you will do the final 30 min drive into the city. By the time you arrive you are exhausted. We will leave the description of the rest of your brief time in Rome to your imagination. However, it involves being herded around Rome in a huge group often in extremely hot temperatures in summertime Rome. We have the solution here. Collecting you directly from your ship, your driver with his luxury Mercedes or luxury small van, if you are more than two people, will bring you to the heart of the action with a private guide waiting for you to show you the top highlights of Rome. Vatican, Colosseum and The Pantheon with much, much more!
You will be collected directly at your ship with a VIP vehicle and private driver to be with you for 9 hours, until you are dropped off back at your cruise ship ready for departure in the late afternoon. In Rome, you will meet with your dedicated private expert guide who will be with you for 5 hours.
Starting at the Vatican we have prepared a route for you that will allow us to see the best highlights and galleries. Having a timed and reserved entry for you, there will be no wasted time entering. Your private, friendly and very talkative guide will be eager to fill you with everything you could wish to know about the world’s smallest country. Strolling effortlessly past the slow large groups, we will be concentrating on the best there is to use your time most prudently. Taking in The Tapestry Gallery, Gallery of The Chandeliers and The Gallery of The Maps among just a few. We will take a few minutes to meditate as you are stunned by the incredible intricacy and mesmerising beauty of Michelangelo’s masterpiece of the Sistine Chapel ceiling frescos. Many years after Michelangelo painted the ceiling, he would return again and create arguable his greatest ever fresco, The Last Judgement. The huge altarpiece in The Sistine Chapel. It is difficult not to be stunned as you see it. Michelangelo was given a free hand for this piece and he used the latitude granted to him. Criticised by many at the time for its use of nudity and muscular expression, today it stands alone as one of the most incredibly courageous pieces of Renaissance conceptual art. As we leave there through a special passageway, we are able to enter St Peter’s Basilica without the long lines.
From the Vatican, we will drive over to The Colosseum, the timeless iconic landmark in Ancient Rome. As usual, we will enter without the long lines and you will be learning of its bloody carnages offered as entertainment to the masses 2000 years ago. The world’s largest amphitheatre will open up its secrets to you. How is it possible that 90000 animals would lose their lives in the inaugural games? Why are there more records of animal deaths than human. In the early days of The Colosseum the life of a convict or Christian held less value than an animal.
We then head into the centre of the Baroque area of Rome arriving at the Pantheon. When you have experienced this, sadly your guide will depart but it is not over. Your driver will then drive you around to see other “big names” in Rome: Piazza Navona, Rome’s most attractive piazza with in its centre Bernini’s Four Rivers Fountain; the Spanish Steps which have at their bottom Via Condotti, Rome’s most expensive and exclusive fashion street; the Trevi Fountain, to name a few.
After this your driver will take you back to the port to arrive safely in time for your departure. This private luxury cruise tour allow you to enhance your visit in Rome. As you swap stories with your “shipmates” over dinner on-board, be assured they will be amazed how much you have seen. More amazed also that you, unlike them, still feel relaxed and ready for an evening of fun.
If you have children with you please let us know and we will provide a very child friendly guide.
- Please bring an ID document for children as proof of age for the reduced price tickets.
- Entrance fees not mentioned as included will be paid on site.
- When accessing the monument, Colosseum visitors will be asked to pass security checks, even when entering with pre-booked tickets or vouchers. Please make sure you DO NOT have pointed large umbrellas and knives of any sizes with you. Liquids are allowed but only if in plastic bottles. Remember that you can refill your containers in the fountains inside the Colosseum. Back bags are allowed inside the Colosseum if very small in size; shoulder bags or handbags are permitted if regular size.
- In case the Basilica of St. Peter is closed for religious functions, you will spend longer time in the Vatican galleries with your private guide. The Basilica is a Church and as such the Vatican can decide to use it for religious functions without notice.
- This tour operates in all weather conditions.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible but may be customized to meet this requirement upon special request.
- Please note that, for disabled visitors with certified invalidity of more than 74%, the Vatican Museums offers free entry that is extended to a companion for visitors who are not self sufficient. To benefit from this, make sure you mention it at the time of booking so that our staff may handle your request.