Your tour will start from our Colosseum office at Via Frangipane 30. There you will be welcomed by our staff and meet your expert guide and friendly group. We are located only 100 metres from The Colosseum entrance.
We are fortunate to be able to offer this opportunity to visit areas of the Colosseum not open to the general public. We truly can take you into the footsteps of gladiators and walk you through the Gladiators‘ Gate. While on this tour, you will see all the classical highlights of the Colosseum with an in-depth walk-through, but then the excitement gets boosted...
...you will be given access to the Arena floor and “Dungeons” area (the Hypogeum). This is where the gladiators prepared to fight and also where the wild animals were caged prior to meeting the unfortunates who would try to battle with them.
The significance of the great games hosted in the Colosseum cannot be underestimated. The famous arena served as essential tool in an Emperor's armory. In the fickle and tumultous times of ancient Rome, the survival of a ruler and indeed his line could depend upon the magnitude and extravagance of the blood-fest served up to the craving masses, both plebetian (the 'commoners') and pretorian (the elite) class alike. Therefore the Hypogeum was not only a series of cells and cages, but the command center of an array of 'props' - traps, pulleys and lifts - to help create the bloody spectacle taking place on the Arena floor above your head. One can truly sense the terror and excitement building, the howls and jeers, the smells and screams and this makes this tour THE 'bucket-list' experience. If you can only manage one tour on your dream Rome vacation, this is the one to book, if you can find availability...
Following our epic Colosseum experience, we will venture to The Palatine Hill where the ruling classes had their villas. This also will offer you an expansive view of much of Rome. Have your camera ready!
On then to The Roman Forum. This is where daily life would take place. Markets, shops, temples and government officials were all to be found here. People would stand around and debate as all Roman life passed around. Though well over 2000 years old, much is still very recognisable today with the whole area essentially the world’s largest open air museum.
Our objective is to offer entertainment but at the same time expand your knowledge, so please do not hesitate to quiz your guide throughout your experience with Vaticantours.com
This tour is approximately 3 hours and does have some stairs on it. Distance walked is quite short but please bring water and head covering in the hot summer months.
- Please bring ID documents for everyone in your party, such as a passport or driving licence. Due to security reasons, you may be required to present ID when entering the Colosseum and may be refused entry if do not have your documents to hand.
- The time may be changed according to tickets availability. If necessary we will contact you with confirmation.
- When accessing the monument the Colosseum visitors will be asked to pass security checks, even when entering with pre-booked tickets or vouchers. Please make sure you DO NOT have pointed large umbrellas and knives of any sizes with you. Liquids are allowed but only if in plastic bottles. Remember that you can refill your containers in the fountains inside the Colosseum. Back packs are allowed inside the Colosseum if very small in size; shoulder bags or handbags are permitted if regular size.
- This tour operates in all weather conditions.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.